Posted on September 24th, 2010
Dermot Nolan, one of Ireland few Masters of Wine, runs the WSET Diploma course and it looks like he’s a pretty darn good tutor with ten people recently graduating with the Diploma.
Drum roll for the new “Dipsos” please…
- Ken Behan, Interliner Agencies Ltd
- Daragh Cassells, Hargadon’s Wine Shop, Cabinteely
- Lynda Coogan, Sweeneys Wine Merchants, Dublin 11
- Paddy Cullen, O’Donovan’s Wines, Cork
- Stephen Dillon, Next Door Off-Licence Group
- Eileen Finn-Graham, The Old Schoolhouse Restaurant, Clarinbridge, Galway
- Chris Gifford, The Corkscrew Wine Shop, Dublin 2
- Tom Hanrahan, self-employed
- Emma Legrand, Bubble Brothers, Cork
- Philip Sweeney, Classic Drinks
On top of graduating, there are also two prizes for the best of the bunch.
There are two prizes awarded – the Wine Australia Scholarship which is awarded to the graduate with the best overall performance in the Diploma, and the George O’Malley Tasting Cup, gifted by Maggie McNie MW, awarded to the student who gets the highest marks in the Tasting Examination.
This year, the winners are:
- Wine Australia Scholarship – Ken Behan
- George O’Malley Tasting Cup – Lynda Coogan
A bit more about Dermot Nolan
Dermot Nolan Wine Services (DNWS) is the only Approved Programme Provider (APP) in
Ireland for the WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines and Spirits. DNWS also offers WSET
Level 3 Advanced Certificate as well as a range of other courses and classes.
Dermot is one of only 289 MWs in the world and passed the stringent MW examination
in 1997. A member of the Council of the Institute of Masters of Wine (IMW).
Dermot is also involved in the MW education programme as a tutor. He has lectured in wine
education at all levels, from consumer appreciation courses, through WSET trade
courses up to the MW study course with 20 year’s experience.
In 2009, Dermot was also one of the 12 inaugural Landmark Australia Tutorial students.
For more information see www.dermotnolan.ie.