Posted on December 3rd, 2008
What’s a Twintterview?
Good question. It’s a 10 question interview about wine over on Twitter, hence “Twintterview” – questions and answers limited to 140 characters.
First up the Kane brothers, the brains behind new wine business and newly launched site, curiouswines.ie. Based in Bandon, but thanks to the information superhighway, they’re available right into your living room.
1. What’s your background i.e. what did Matt & Mike Kane do before @curiouswines?
Two brothers who thought Ireland could do with a worldclass online retailer of wine – background in sales & management
2. Was it a case of love wine, do what you love or did you spot a gap in the market?
We’re from the north & we knew wot the UK wine retailers offered, like Majestic & Laithwaites, so thought Ireland needs the same
Our main reason for selling wine is because we love wine, most importantly. & just happened to see a great niche
3. So you love wine, any particular favourites that you always go back to?
Michael loves Barossa Shiraz, Matt is mad about Spanish whites – esp. Rias Baixas Albarino
4. I love my Albarino too & Godello and now for Q4 Wierdest or wackiest wine ever tasted?
Woodstock Fortified Shiraz – port in style, but distinctly Barossa. Very weird but wonderful
5. Interesting. You mentioned Albarino previously. What else is “so hot right now” in terms of new wines on shelves?
The reappearance of old & lesser known varieties is really exciting.
6. Can you elaborate? The likes of Godello, Gruner Veltliner, anything else?
Finally, the greatest white of them all – Riesling – is finally taking off……proving the value of branded wines in opening consumer tastes to new varietals.
7. You’re a new entrant to the wine market – what are you doing differently to other wine retailers in Ireland?
Our retail warehouse and mixed case format is highly unusual, if not, completely unique.
Online, it’s all about service. Great wines & good value should almost be a given.
Add in fast, free delivery, free returns, 100% satisfaction guarantee, price guarantee and constant innovation in promotions.
8. And what about what you’re doing online, with blogging and Twitter, why are they important?
It’s another part of why we’re different. Like the wine, we do it because it’s hellish good fun!!
But we’re also intrigued at the opportunities offered by blogging and social networking in terms of knowing your customer.
9. Can I change tack now and ask you about Duemila Dievole La Nativita – the wine the pope blessed. For drinkers or collectors?
Both. Sadly the likelihood is people will buy this and never drink it, but it’s actually drinking superbly now.
10. Okay, last question. Is there anything you’d like to add or anything we haven’t covered? Feel free to pimp www.curiouswines.ie
Pimping isn’t our style, but love the opportunity to tell you a bit more about ourselves. Thank you Sir. Tweet later :)